Technology Report

To: Michael Green

From: Steve Rippl

Date: January 17, 2018

RE: Tech Dept. Executive Summary

Well, our department stayed pretty busy over the break. We updated some key Windows servers to a newer version of the operating system, testing heavily along the way to make sure all our services were unaffected. Unfortunately, one serious problem didn’t become apparent until everyone was back and the network was being used heavily again! A network driver incompatibility between the new version of our virtual host servers and the new Windows guest servers meant certain services slowed down (printing was really the worst affected as far as end users could tell, it continued to function, just slowly for large print jobs). Fortunately, the guys diagnosed the problem and found a fix in short order, and we were able to be back up to speed in just a few days.

We also deployed new phones to the KWRL offices over the break connecting them to our phone system. That’s gone well, the phones are working and being used. The old line (and phones) are also still in place while we make sure everything is set up as needed, and I think we’re almost there. We need to do a bit of work to connect their garage PA to the new system, and we’re waiting for the phone company to redirect the old line to a new DID. Once those are in place we can remove the old phones and system.

And finally, there was the usual cleanup of helpdesk tickets and general maintenance tasks. We’re also undertaking a physical inventory of our technology and a lot of progress was made on that over the break.