Physical & Occupational Services Agreement
To: Michael Green
From: Deb Kernen
Re: Physical & Occupational Services Proposal
Date: June 3, 2009
Attached is the new contract I have worked out with Braun Therapy Staffing. As you recall, we have contracted services with them for over 10 years and they have done a good job in providing Occupational & Physical therapy services for our students. This contract reflects an increase of $66.41/day from last year. I have checked with other directors in our area and this type of cost increase is occurring in all other district settings. This is another area that is very difficult to recruit and retain staff because of shortages. I have also asked them for a detailed explanation for the increase in costs.
They are as follows:
1. Cost of insurance has almost doubled
2. Shortage of staff due to the high demand for Therapists in all areas
3. Cost to hire and retain Therapists in this era of Therapist shortage
4. Other agencies work on volume and don't always make an effort to remove students from the case load but try to add
5. No minimum paid work hours - if I have only 2 hours of work for a day, I charge that amount and not a minimum hours/day
6. Cost of business and credit has increased more than anticipated.
In January I completed an analysis of OT/PT services and determined that we could reduce the number of days for services based on reduced number of special ed students needing therapy and making sure the services reflect what's recommended on the IEP. This has saved the district approximately $6,000 this school year. Based on this analysis the 09-10 contract reflects the current needs of the district and the contract is actually $6,974.76 less than our contract for 08-09.
I have also been in contact with Castle Rock School District administration to explore the idea of trying to hire a non-agency OT for the 2010-2011 school year and share them between our districts to see if we can reduce the costs. I plan to continue these efforts next fall. I recommend we continue contracting for another year of services from Braun Therapy Staffing and approve this proposal.