Regular Board Meeting on Monday, May 9, 2016Previous Next
Regular Board Meeting on Monday, May 9, 2016
- Next Board Meeting Location: The next Regular Board Meeting will be held at Yale Elementary School on Monday, May 23, 2016 beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Reports to the Board:
- Taylor Vossen, Student Representative, reported that the class is selecting new ASB officers and that the student representative for next year will be Jamie Gonzalez. She also talked about the Every 15 Minutes Program held last week to raise student awareness of the dangers of drunk driving.
- The Board discussed the Strength and Conditioning Program which will be offered over the summer. Superintendent Michael Green explained that program costs have been reduced to permit more kids to participate.
- Reports to the board can be found online at: http://www.woodlandschools.org/board/meeting/245/3
- Special Presentation - Alternative Education:
- TEAM High School Principal Dan Uhlenkott gave a presentation about the school including the diverse students who all have different reasons to attend the school and appreciate the different approaches to learning offered.
Uhlenkott explained that TEAM High School is a full diploma program, not a GED program, and that a small number of students finish the program in three years through hard work and dedication. Students are expected to spend 2-3 hours in the TEAM classroom each day using APEX software to complete their studies which allows students to work at their own pace. Students are able to co-enroll at Woodland High School to participate in extracurricular activities as well as attend the Skills Center. Uhlenkott thanked his dedicated staff as well as support staff including Stacy Brown, Executive Director of Business Services; Sarah Gray, WHS Counselor; and Mary Ann Sturdivan, WHS Culminating Project Supervisor who work closely with TEAM students. Uhlenkott also spoke highly of the school’s two teachers: Elizabeth Vallaire, who teaches math, and Jillian Jacobs, who teaches English and is working on her social studies credentials.
- Assistant Superintendent Asha Riley gave a presentation about the Lewis River Academy (LRA), discussing the mission for the school to allow families to be highly-involved with their children’s education and also receive support. Riley explained that students enroll in the LRA program for a wide variety of reasons and are able to work at their own pace. Students must check in with their teachers at least once a week either in-person or via email, telephone, or other method of communication.
- The Board asked if the alternative programs cost the district money, to which the administrators explained that the programs actually generate a small amount of revenue for the district instead of carrying additional cost.
- The entire presentation can be viewed online using the following link: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/4708
- Discussion Items:
- The Board of Directors continues to read a book entitled “Effective School Boards: Strategies for Improving Board Performance” to help unify board members. The Board discussed Chapter 4 entitled, “Connecting to the Community.”
- Director Matt Donald inquired about the state of landscaping issues at the new high school. Superintendent Green explained that the district is working closely with the contractors to ensure dying plants are replaced and that work will likely continue through the summer.
- Director Steve Madsen addressed that he appreciated how he has noticed the Woodland Police Department supervise safety during drop-off and pickup times at the middle school. Superintendent Green commended both Police Chief Phil Crochet and WMS Principal Jake Hall.
- Action Items:
- The Board voted to approve the 2016-2017 Student Meal Prices.
- The Board voted to approve the interlocal agreement to create the Cowlitz County Therapeutic School Program.
- The Board voted to approve Resolution 16-04 – Acceptance of Summer Remodel Projects.
UPCOMING BOARD MEETING
Monday, May 23, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. at Yale Elementary School.