To: Michael Green
From: Paul Huddleston
Re: Woodland High School Athletics Report
- Varsity record (1-10 league, 5-14 overall)
- Still have one game to make up due to rain out, but no post season this year.
- Finished last in league. Rough season for our varsity. In a lot of games, but had trouble playing at a high level for the full 7 innings. We lose 4 seniors and return the bulk of our contributors next season.
- JV record (6-5 league, 9-9 overall)
- Finished 4th in league
- Varsity record (5-3 league, 8-6 overall).
- Currently in a 3 way tie for 2nd in league
- District playoffs begin May 19th at Fort Borst Park in Centralia.
- JV record (6-0 league, 9-4 overall).
- Currently 1st in league
- Varsity record (6-5-1 league, 6-8-2 overall).
- Finished 4th in league
- Will play Tumwater in the first round of district playoffs on May 7 – 2pm (at Tumwater)
- Beat Hockinson in boys’ soccer for the first time in school history
- JV record (2-7-3 league, 2-3-10 overall).
- Finished 6th in league
- (2-4 league, 2-7 overall).
- Our girls’ golf team is very young… no seniors, 2 juniors and 7 sophomores. In addition, we have 5 very promising middle schoolers who will contribute in the future. The varsity girls have dropped 4 strokes (on average) this season, and one golfer has dropped 11 strokes!
- This group works hard and are very driven to succeed. 4 varsity members are currently taking lessons and I have no doubt we will be back in league title contention in no time.
- We will be taking 6 golfers to the district tournament May 17-18.
Track and Field
- Our girls have secured a league championship
- Natalie Biddix broke the school record in the 2 mile (12:02)
- Our boys will most likely finish 3rd in league
- Sub-districts are May 13 in Washougal.
- Summer athletic programs begin May 30th and will continue (varying by program) through July 31st.
- We are in the process of implementing a new summer strength and conditioning program that will be open to all WSD students entering grade 7-12. An emphasis will be placed on developing the total athlete – mental toughness, heart, character, strength, power, speed, and agility will be key points. The values of hard work, leadership, teamwork, trust, and honesty will be stressed every day. Really excited about this opportunity for our kids - different sessions throughout the day will be run by D J Malinowski and the cost will $65 per student. All sessions will be held at WHS (weight room, turf field, gym).