Regular Board Meeting on Monday, March 28, 2016Previous Next
Regular Board Meeting on Monday, March 28, 2016
- Next Board Meeting Location Change: The next Regular Board Meeting will be held in the Woodland Intermediate School Library on Monday, April 11, 2016 beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Reports to the Board:
- Lan Ha, Nutrition Services Director, gave a presentation to the Board to discuss two upcoming events: the Future Chefs event taking place Tuesday, March 29 where third and fourth graders will have a cook-off featuring 15 recipes of their own selection and creation; and a Fine Dining event taking place on the evening of May 3 where students will learn proper table manners and use of formal silverware utensils.
- Woodland Middle School Principal Jake Hall and Assistant Principal Angela Campbell gave a presentation to the Board covering the state-of-the-union at the middle school. Hall spoke of how the middle school makes up the core of the district by having connections both to the elementary level and high school level. In addition, he spoke of the changes made throughout the year to accommodate the school’s nearly 700 students including the successful implementation of Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) across all grade levels which offers programs such as Fresh Start which offers individual attention to students who need it as well as the Extension Program which helps both struggling students as well as those who need additional challenge. Hall highlighted the successful after-school programs including both the Lego Robotics Team and Science Night where students perform science experiments. Hall stated that the middle school intends to increase similar activities in the 2016-17 school year. Hall also highlighted the school’s office staff, commending them for their dedication to helping out the administrative team while also performing as excellent liaisons between the school, parents, and community members. Directors Matt Donald and Steve Madsen both have students currently attending the middle school, and both directors provided kudos to the quality work taking place at the school. Board President Janice Watts stated that she believes the students take a lot of pride in their school with both Hall and Campbell agreeing. The entire presentation can be viewed online: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/4705
- Superintendent Michael Green spoke of the upcoming interviews for candidates for the Woodland Primary
School Principal position which will begin April 15.
- TEAM High School will be handing out diplomas at graduation, and the Board will select a Director distribute the diplomas personally.
- Following the board meeting, the Directors took part in a tour of Woodland Middle School where student tour guides pointed out significant features of the school including the new climbing rock wall in the school’s gymnasium.
UPCOMING BOARD MEETING
Monday, April 11, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. in the Woodland Intermediate School Library