Board Briefs for Regular Board Meeting on Monday, February 8, 2016Previous Next
Regular Board Meeting on Monday, February 8, 2016
- Change to Board Meeting Starting Time: Beginning with the next Board Meeting on Monday, February 22, 2016, all future board meetings will begin at 5:30 p.m.
• The Board discussed the athletic classification of Woodland Public Schools as 1A or 2A. The determination is made on a 4-year calculation of student population. Further discussion will be made on the topic.
• Director Steve Madsen discussed the recent FBLA Conference and asked how much participation is coming from the local Woodland private sector. Superintendent Michael Green mentioned that many local business owners and city officials participate, and that the FBLA program continues to reach out for more connection with the local business community.
• The Board discussed the upcoming presentations from each school as well as the school safety and emergency preparedness. The meetings will occur at the schools who are presenting. The schedule of presentations is as follows:
• February 22: School Safety and Emergency Preparedness
• March 14: Woodland High School Presentation (at Woodland High School)
• March 28: Woodland Middle School Presentation (at Woodland Middle School)
• April 11: Woodland Intermediate School Presentation (at Woodland Intermediate School)
• April 25: Woodland Primary School Presentation (at Woodland Primary School)
• May 9: Alternative Programs (Lewis River Academy and TEAM High School)
• May 23: Yale School (at Yale School)
• June 13: Athletic Programs
• Director Madsen discussed the concepts of Social Justice and Equity in terms of finding out more information from the district’s standpoint, particularly focusing on Internet access for underprivileged students who may not have access from home. Superintendent Green shared that the district is working on addressing issues of equity, and mentioned the High School program which allows students to check out Chromebook computers to use at home if they don’t have access to their own computers so they can do schoolwork from their homes.
• Director Madsen suggested adding to the schedule a presentation on KWRL. He asked for more information about the hybrid model currently being used by the district for school busing. Superintendent Green mentioned that Shannon Barnett, Director of KWRL, will be available to make a presentation to the Board covering the hybrid model, how it works, and other alternatives during a future board meeting.
• The Board discussed the hiring of Mike Woodward as the new Head Football Coach at Woodland High School. Athletic Director Paul Huddleston was on-hand to talk about how highly-qualified Woodward is as a coach, and how his coaching style embodies the Woodland concepts of student athletes as student leaders, incorporating the entire school in the program.
UPCOMING BOARD MEETING
Monday, February 22, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. in the District Meeting Room