Board Briefs for Regular Board Meeting on Monday, January 11, 2016Previous Next
Regular Board Meeting on Monday, January 11, 2016
- Community Comments: A community member suggested reviewing the start time of the board meeting to increase attendance.
- Student Representative Report: Students at Woodland High School have asked if hot coffee options could be possible at the school as well as fresh fruit cups. The Sodexo Food Services manager said that they would look into the possibility of having hot coffee, and that they do offer fresh fruit cups when they are in season. Also, students have asked if the students would be allowed off-campus during the school day. Both Principal John Shoup and Superintendent Michael Green spoke that it is a board policy to have a closed campus, however students could request to the board that it be considered in the future.
- Board Retreat: The Board of Directors scheduled a retreat for March 12, 2016. Superintendent Green and President Watts will develop an agenda with items including team-building, training for new board members, and goal-setting for the next year.
- Review of School Board & Superintendent Operating Principles: The Board reviewed and discussed Operating Principles, specifically that the Board sets policy and that the Superintendent administers the policies set forth by the Board. The Board and Superintendent reviewed the Operating Principles section-by-section including rules of what constitutes a quorum as well as when an Open Public Meeting must be established to discuss items in-depth. The board will review revisions to the document at its next meeting.
- Policy 1630 Evaluation of the Superintendent Discussion: The Board discussed the timeline of the evaluation of the Superintendent, specifically changing the date to July in order to provide additional time for goal-setting and other issues.
- Approval of SEIU 925 Collective Bargaining Agreement: The Board of Directors voted to approve the SEIU 925 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Approval of Request for ESD Services – Cowlitz Day Treatment Program: Cowlitz County School districts have been working closely with Educational Service District 112 to provide a Day Treatment Program located in Cowlitz County in order provide quality service for severely disabled students and to eliminate the need to bus students who need such services out of the area. A new location has been selected at the site of the old Three Rivers Gym, and the Board voted to approve the request for ESD 112’s services to help establish the location as a Cowlitz County Day Treatment Program.
UPCOMING BOARD MEETING
Monday, January 25, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. in the District Meeting Room