WSD Athletics Board Report
June 8, 2015
- Season ended after dropping an extra inning game to WF West in the district playoffs.
i. Aaron Shoup, Trevor Huddleston and Cody Shepherd all selected to play in senior all-star game.
ii. All-League Honors: Trevor Huddleston (League MVP), Aaron Shoup, Cody Shepherd (1st Team), Austin Holcomb and Tristan Thomas (Honorable Mention)
iii. Tough finish for the baseball team… they were as good as anyone but just couldn’t quite do what they needed to do to move on to state. That’s sports!
- They were one of four teams to play the very last game at state. After a few amazing comebacks, they finished 4th in state.
i. Reanna Fitzgerald, Sidra Malik, Gracey Trice and Kendall Grell all invited to play in the senior all-star game.
ii. All-League Honors: Haylee Michaud and Jessica Flanagan (Co-League Defensive MVPs), Reanna Fitzgerald and Kendall Grell (1st Team), Gracey Trice (2nd Team)
iii. Really proud of how this team came together and fought through a lot of adversity. We nicknamed them the “Cardiac Kids” for their exciting comebacks at state.
- Our boys team won a league and district title. Our girls team won a league title and finished 2nd in districts.
i. We sent 15 athletes to state.
ii. Eli Whimire (8th triple jump, 7th 100m and 3rd Long Jump) brought home 3 medals. Julia Stepper (6th 100m, 200m, 7th Long Jump) also brought home 3 medals. Freshman McKenna Flanagan also brought home a medal (8th) in the Javelin.
iii. All of our 15 competed hard and performed at a high level.
- We sent 7 athletes to state. Girls: Faith Udy, Addy Dinehart, Kayla Moody. Boys: Ryan Sturdivan, Magnus Lovaas, Hayden Huddleston, Jon Watts. 4 made it to day 2: Jon Watts, Ryan Sturdivan, Kayla Moody and Faith Udy.
i. Faith Udy finished 2nd in state.
ii. Ryan Sturdivan rebounded from a rough first day (for him) to shoot his best competition score ever: a -1 score of 69.
iii. Really proud of all our golfers – they played well and conducted themselves with class.
- All-League Honors: Kevin Terhorst (2nd Team), Paul Castro, Jesse Saastamo, Brennan Lamoreaux (Honorable Mention).
- Our Athlete of the Year Banquet was on Thursday. Such a positive night… we recognize all of our multi-sport letter winners, all-league recipients, individuals and teams that win league titles, district titles or make state appearances, coaches that received special recognition and end the night with a male and female athlete of the year (still a secret as I’m writing this).
- Our six finalists for AOY this year are:
i. Boys: Trevor Huddleston, Eli Whitmire, Matt Young
ii. Girls: Kendall Grell, Reanna Fitzgerald, Jessica Flanagan.