April 13, 2015 Regular Meeting Minutes

 

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 404
DIRECTOR'S MEETING
MINUTES

April 13, 2015 5:00PM
Regular Meeting-District Meeting Room

MEMBERS
PRESENT

 

Janice Watts, Jim Bays, Tina Cayton, Matt Donald, Kurtis Patterson-Student Representative, Michael Green-Board Secretary and Tegan Steen-Recording Secretary

OTHERS PRESENT

 

John Shoup, Stacy Brown, Steven Carney, Dan Uhlenkott, Asha Riley.

CITIZENS COMMENTS
ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS

 

None.

MEMBERS ABSENT

 

Tina Cayton moved to approve Jeremy Stuart’s absence from the meeting.

Matt Donald  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Jim Bays  yes
Janice Watts  yes  carried

MINUTES

 

Tina Cayton moved to approve the March 23, 2015 regular and workshop meeting minutes.

Matt Donald  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Jim Bays  yes
Janice Watts  yes  carried

REPORTS TO THE BOARD

 

Student Report
Kurtis Patterson said boys and girls track teams won first place in small schools overall, and Julia Stepper was named TDN athlete of the week because she won the 100 and 200 yard dash and placed in the long jump and other competitions at an invite in Oregon City. The Cross Country team helped setup and pass out water at  the Blooms to Brews fundraiser. Michael said that Dylan Franke won top of his age group in the half marathon race.

Other Report
The Board did not have any questions about the other reports.

SUPERINTENDENT REPORT

 

Michael Green said that the WIS was recognized again with the WA Achievement Award. This is the fifth time in seven years that the WIS has been recognized for performance and improvement by the state. The WQCC meeting is on Wednesday in the Commons.  Construction is flying along. The tentative date of the grand opening is on August 31st.   

CORRESPONDENCE

 

None.

BOARD REPORTS & REQUESTS

 

Jim Bays mentioned that he met with Michael and a vendor regarding the Wall of Tribute that may cut the cost in half.  Michael said that, because the conduit for power is at the site, it gives the Board more time to discuss options. Matt Donald said that the Jurassic Parliament workshop was very good and thanked Michael for setting that up.

DISCUSSION ITEMS

 

Naming of Schools
Michael asked the Board if they would like to discuss new names for the Primary and Intermediate schools, as they will not cover just primary level grades.  The Board discussed this and said they would like to throw it out to the community and teachers for ideas only. Michael will see if the ESD 112 Communications staff can help with this.

Parliamentary Procedure: Board Rules of Order
Michael asked the Board if they would like to change some of their meeting practices, as they had recently had a workshop on Robert’s Rules of Order. The Board discussed meeting minutes and how they would like them formatted. Matt said that he liked the idea of cutting back to summarize the action. Jim Bays said that he felt the minutes should reflect the discussion that the public should know, and that the simple format doesn’t do that. The Board discussed trying a new format that highlights action taken in a bold font.

Michael asked the Board if they want to ask for seconds on votes. The Board discussed this, the process of amending motions and if members can vote on minutes if they hadn’t attended the meeting. Michael will create a document for these procedures, from this discussion. They will review this at a future meeting.

CONSENT AGENDA

 

Jim Bays asked to remove warrant number CP-6279 from the consent agenda, to vote on it separately. He asked Michael what CP-6283 (building commissioning) was for. Michael said that in a project like the construction of a new High School, the practice is to have an external group come in and verify the work done to make sure all of the systems work.  Jim thinks this practice is stupid, but Michael said that the State reimburses the cost and it is a normal process. Tina Cayton asked about why they had to approve the check for the new truck. Michael said that, in order to reduce fraud risk, the State limits check amounts without prior board approval, so he needed prior approval to have the check for the purchase of the truck.  Tina informed Michael and the Board that the District can get a number from a hotel chain to get 18% off rates. She said it can be used with the government rate and you can rack up free nights. She will email Michael the information. (See attached consent agenda.)

Matt Donald moved to approve the revised consent agenda with the CP-6279 removed.

Janice Watts  yes
Jim Bays  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Matt Donald  yes  carried

Matt moved to approve CP-6279.

Janice Watts  yes
Jim Bays  no
Tina Cayton  yes
Matt Donald  yes  carried

ACTION ITEMS

 

Ratification of Change Orders 21, 22, & 23
Michael told the Board that he had approved, within the authority granted him by board policy, these three change orders, but needed to have them ratified by the Board.

Matt Donald moved to ratify Change Orders 21, 22 and 23.

Janice Watts  yes
Jim Bays  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Matt Donald  yes  carried

EXECUTIVE SESSION

 

President, Janice Watts, recessed the meeting into executive session at 6:12pm to discuss personnel matters under RCW 42.30.110 (1)(g), with no action to be taken upon return.

President, Janice Watts, reconvened the meeting into regular session at 6:52 pm.

ADJOURNMENT

 

President, Janice Watts, adjourned the meeting of the Board of Directors at 6:52 pm.

ATTEST:

_______________________________
Secretary to the Board

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT #404
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

____________________________________
President

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

Attached Files:
NameSizeType
consent agenda 4-13-15.pdf 40KB application/pdf