July 14, 2014 Regular Meeting Minutes-Revised

 

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 404
DIRECTOR'S MEETING
MINUTES

July 14, 2014 5:00PM
Regular Meeting-District Meeting Room

MEMBERS
PRESENT

 

Jim Bays, Tina Cayton, Matt Donald, Kurtis Patterson-Student Representative, Michael Green-Board Secretary and Tegan Steen-Recording Secretary

OTHERS PRESENT

 

Stacy Brown and Asha Riley.

MEMBERS ABSENT

 

Tina Cayton moved to excuse Janice Watts and Jeremy Stuart from the meeting.

Matt Donald  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Jim Bays  yes  carried

MINUTES

 

Tina Cayton moved to approve the June 23, 2014 regular meeting minutes and the June 26, 2014 special meeting minutes.

Matt Donald  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Jim Bays  yes  carried

REPORTS TO THE BOARD

 

Student Report
Kurtis Patterson reported that HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) sent five students, Grant Booker, Vern Warndahl, Brandy Zemp, Amanda Mosely and Kayla Moody, to compete at the National Conference in Orlando, FL June 24-29. They did a “Dare Me for Charity” fundraiser last Wednesday to raise money with other Portland/SW Washington charities. The fundraiser drew 100-200 people who jumped off a crane into an air pillow for their dare. The Dare Me for Charity is an organization creating a reality television show that highlights charities. HOSA made $600 from the charity so far. They hope the show will air during the holidays season. The event was on the local news.  Kurtis said that the APX class is going well. Mr. Huddleston encouraged kids by working out with them.

SUPERINTENDENT REPORT

 

Michael Green said that this is a quiet time of year in the District.  Capital facilities projects are moving forward. The Yale gym project is coming to an end. The Yale water project is underway.  The cabling project is coming up next.  Administrators are preparing for the coming school year. Michael has been busy meeting with architects. He got the maintenance management review back and is digging through the information. He’s hoping to have a report for the Board at the next meeting.  Jim Bays asked about cracks in the entryway of the WPS. Michael said that engineers looked at them and said that the structure is sound. He said they will re-check it when they do upgrades to the entryway.

Annual Report on Use of Reasonable Force
The update to Policy No. 3246 requires an annual report on the Use of Reasonable Force. After recent changes were implemented at WPS, they have found they are not seeing as many of these incidents. Tina Cayton asked if the information is used to see if the student requires further interventions.  Michael said it is.

CORRESPONDENCE

 

The Board viewed letters from OSPI. One was congratulating the District for KWRL’s outstanding school bus inspection results; one was for the approval of 2013-14 Special Education Safety Net Funding; and one was notification that the Civil Rights Review is closed.  Michael said that Deb Kernen has done such an excellent job of applying and receiving Safety Net funding, that she was asked to be on an advisory committee.

CITIZENS REQUESTS

 

None.

BOARD REPORTS & REQUESTS

 

None.

DISCUSSION ITEMS

 

First Reading of Policy No. 2020
After last month’s discussion of this policy revision, Asha added definitions to the Criteria for Selection of Instructional Material.  The Board discussed the process.  Jim Bays suggested Asha change the section labeled Citizens Participation in the Instructional Materials Process to Citizens Review of Instructional Materials. Matt Donald suggested that she include parents and guardians, as well as citizens to that section, so that they know how to formally file their concern about instructional materials.  Michael suggested that she add a section above for an informal complaint process. Asha will complete the changes and it will return to the Board for second reading and approval at the next meeting.

CONSENT AGENDA

 

See attached consent agenda. There was a late addition of a warrant for a van for the Special Services Partners in Transition group.  KWRL checked the van today and said it was in excellent condition. 

Tina Cayton moved to approve the consent agenda.

Matt Donald  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Jim Bays  yes  carried

ACTION ITEMS

 

Second Reading and Approval of Revision to Policy No. 3110-Qualifications of Attendance and Placement
Michael said the policy was the same as the one presented at the last meeting. He  said that the tests are unavailable in other languages. He did not recommend a change from this policy. The Board discussed the policy.  Michael said students need to demonstrate that they can compete with all the other learners. If they have limited language capabilities, they are starting behind, because much of the school year, they are acquiring English.  If they start at the appropriate chronological age, there is more opportunity for success. The Board decided to table this item until the other Board members were present to discuss it. This will be added to the next agenda.

Approval of Resolution No. 2590-Delegating Authority to WIAA

Tina Cayton moved to approve Resolution No. 2590-Delegating Authority to WIAA.

Matt Donald  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Jim Bays  yes  carried

Approval of EOCF Agreement Renewal
This is the annual agreement for Head Start on our campus.

Matt Donald moved to approve the renewal of the EOCF agreement.

Jim Bays  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Matt Donald  yes  carried

2014-2015 ESD 112 Contracts
The Board discussed the annual ESD 112 contracts.

Tina Cayton moved to approve the ESD 112 contracts for the 2014-2015 school year.

Matt Donald  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Jim Bays  yes  carried

Award of Bid for Structured Cabling Project
The Board discussed the cabling bid. Michael explained that this was just for the cabling; not for telephones. The telephone bid will be in the coming year.  Tina asked about the type of cable. Michael said that the base bid was for CAT 5e, but he recommends the Board approve the alternate for CAT 6.  Tina was concerned about the cost of the telephones.  Jim said he was not granting approval for a phone system yet.  He said that if the public knew we were using [what he anticipates may be] $400K of bond money for a new phone system, they’d run the Board out of town.  Michael said they were two separate projects and a phone system is necessary for the new WHS.  It is yet to be determined whether the District should integrate the existing and no longer supported, PBX system with the WHS VoIP system that we will be purchasing as part of the WHS project, or whether the best choice would be to replace the system with the current and supported technology. Matt Donald said this cabling was good as the backbone of a new system, regardless of what we do in terms of a phone system. Jim said that the bid was way lower than what he expected. 

Tina Cayton moved to approve Christensen Electric as the contractor for the structured cabling upgrade, and to accept the base bid plus the alternate bid. 

Matt Donald  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Jim Bays  yes  carried

Approval of 2014-2015 Federal and State Grants

Tina Cayton moved to approve the 2014-2015 state and federal grants.

Matt Donald  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Jim Bays  yes  carried

ADJOURNMENT

 

Vice President, Jim Bays, adjourned the meeting of the Board of Directors at 6:04pm.

 

ATTEST:

_______________________________
Secretary to the Board

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT #404
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

____________________________________
President

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

Attached Files:
NameSizeType
consent agenda 7-14-14.pdf 52KB application/pdf