February 25, 2013

 

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 404
DIRECTOR'S MEETING
MINUTES

February 25, 2013 6:00PM
Regular Meeting-District Meeting Room

MEMBERS
PRESENT

 

Jim Bays, Janice Watts, Bill Woodard, Tina Cayton, Michael Green-Secretary, Tegan Steen-Recording Secretary

OTHERS PRESENT

 

Mariah Reese, Paul Cline, John Huffman, Kyle Niekamp, Charlotte Stoll-Smith, Mara Reese, Asha Riley, Eric Lanciault, Stacy Brown, Don Stuart and Paul Huddleston

MEMBERS ABSENT

 

Bill Woodard moved to approve the absence of Jeremy Stuart and Tyler Summers absence.

Tina Cayton  yes
Bill Woodard  yes
Janice Watts  yes  carried

MINUTES

 

Tina Cayton moved to approve the February 11, 2013 regular meeting minutes.

Janice Watts  yes
Jim Bays  yes
Tina Cayton  yes  carried

BOARD REPORTS

 

Student Representative Report
The Student Representative was absent from the meeting.

Other Report
The Board did not have any questions about the other reports.

SUPERINTENDENT REPORT

 

Mr. Green said that the District’s certificated substitute list is small and he is opening up an emergency substitute list again. He met with the Army Corp of Engineers about an alternative analysis for wetlands at the new high school site. He said that the new high school project is moving along well. He did get an email late in the day about a boundary adjustment for that site. This information will come to the Board at the next meeting.

CORRESPONDENCE

 

WSSDA Regional Meeting Notice
Mr. Green shared a notice for the WSSDA Regional Meeting in Kelso on March 27th, which will include annual updates and a 2-hr session on the Teacher/Principal Evaluation Pilot (TPEP).

WSSDA Request for Resolution
Jeremy emailed Michael a request by WSSDA for a resolution from school districts to the legislature to address K-12 funding. Jim and Michael will discuss the resolution next Monday and bring a draft to the Board for consideration. 

CITIZENS REQUESTS

 

 

Mariah Reese said that she is still unhappy with the District’s phone messaging service. She said that it is hard to hear the message.  She also said that she is unhappy with Sodexo Food Service. She said that some of the food is good, but they had more vegetable choices before.

BOARD REPORTS & REQUESTS

 

None.

DISCUSSION ITEMS

 

Scheduling and Planning for Groundbreaking on New High School Property
Michael said that the design team will request bids this spring on Phase I of the WHS project and work is anticipated to begin in June.  He discussed dates for a groundbreaking ceremony/celebration at the site with the Board.  They decided on Thursday May 23rd at 5:30pm, as a Chamber of Commerce After Hours would be a good day; and Michael thought there would be more people able to attend on a Thursday.

Update on Yale Project Status
Michael gave the background of the status of the Yale Gym Project. Eric Lanciault, the Architect on the project, was present to add information. Because of code issues with Cowlitz County regarding sprinkler systems, the project’s current plan will be substantially over budget, if not significantly modified.  Modification can include substantially remodeling the current facility, as opposed to the significant downsizing of the current plan of building a new facility on a different location. A meeting will be held at Yale on March 6th at 6:30pm in the Yale Library, to get input from the community regarding the path forward. Michael invited Board members to attend. Michael and the architect will meet with Yale’s PTO that same day at 2:30pm. The Board discussed the project update with some Yale community members present.

School Visitation Schedules
The Board reviewed outlines of their upcoming school visits.  They will visit WIS, WPS, and LRA on Wednesday, February 27th and WMS, WHS, and TEAM on March 11th. The Board discussed the visit schedules.

 CONSENT AGENDA

 

Michael said the consent agenda included a late addition of Char Lindberg’s retirement. 

Bill Woodard moved to approve the consent agenda as presented.

Tina Cayton  yes
Bill Woodard  yes
Janice Watts  yes  carried

ACTION ITEMS

 

Approval of Revisions to the KWRL Cooperative Agreement
Michael and Jim had met with Ridgefield Superintendent and Board President and they had agreed that the Ridgefield board would approve the joint resolution as previously presented.

Janice Watts  moved to approve the revised KWRL Cooperative Agreement contingent upon the other districts’ approval of the KWRL joint resolution.

Tina Cayton  yes
Bill Woodard  yes
Janice Watts  yes
Jim Bays  yes  carried

Rotary’s Request for Letter of Support
Michael said he got a late request from Rotary for a letter of support from the District for the Scott Hill Park project.

Bill Woodard moved to authorize the Superintendent to draft a letter of support for the Scott Hill Road project.

Tina Cayton  yes
Bill Woodard  yes
Janice Watts  yes  carried

ADJOURNMENT

 

President, Jim Bays, adjourned the meeting of the Board of Directors at 7:22pm.

 

ATTEST:

_______________________________
Secretary to the Board

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT #404
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

____________________________________
President

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director