October 8, 2012 Board Meeting Minutes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 404
DIRECTOR'S MEETING
MINUTES

October 8, 2012 6:00PM
Regular Meeting-District Meeting Room

MEMBERS
PRESENT

 

Jim Bays, Janice Watts, Bill Woodard, Tina Cayton, Tayler Summers-Student Representative, Michael Green-Secretary and Tegan Steen-Recording Secretary

OTHERS
PRESENT

 

Chris Lilley, Dan Uhlenkott, Stacy Brown, Asha Riley, John Shoup and Mark Houk.

 

MEMBERS ABSENT

 

Bill Woodard moved to approve Jeremy Stuart's absence from the meeting.

 

Tina Cayton  yes

Bill Woodard yes

Janice Watts  yes  carried

 

MINUTES

 

Janice Watts moved to approve the September 24, 2012 regular meeting minutes.

 

Tina Cayton  yes

Bill Woodard yes

Janice Watts  yes  carried

REPORTS TO THE BOARD

 

Student Representative

Tayler Summers reported that the WHS Football Team will play Stevenson for the Homecoming game. WHS students have been decorating the halls for spirit week. Today was Toga day; Tuesday-Western Day, Wednesday-Nerd Day, Thursday-Color War Day and Friday-Spirit Day. PTSA held a WPS walk for kids event that raised over $10,000.

 

Other Reports

Janice Watts asked about the LRA space issue. Michael Green said that Asha has been working with local churches to come up with an extra space to have LRA activities, now that the other half of their portable was used for an extra Kindergarten class.

 

John Shoup asked Board members who were interested in Challenge Day to contact him by email.

 

 

SUPERINTENDENT REPORT

 

Michael Green reported that he had a design team meeting up at Yale and received good feedback from paricipants on the desired scope of the project.  Doug Nichols, Eric Lanciault and Michael worked on refining a plan that will be presented at a community open house next week, there will be an opportunity for the Yale community to add more input about the project at a meeting on October 16th. Michael, Eric, and Doug met with a cost estimator on Friday, to discuss the Yale project.

 

Last week, John Shoup and Michael went to Tacoma to meet with McGranahan Architects to  do a deeper study of the new WHS project and seek ways to reduce area without reducing program.  The result was a significant refinement of the design that architect Chris Lilley presented to the Board.

 

The Board decided to move the Board meeting up at Yale School to November 26th. The Board also decided to hold the first November meeting on November 12th, even though it is a holiday.  They understood that administrators would not be present at the meeting. There is a WQCC meeting at the Port of Woodland on October 17th.

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

None.

 

CITIZENS REQUESTS

 

 

Mark Houk thanked USNR for donating chairs to the District.

 

BOARD REPORTS AND REQUESTS

 

 

The Board discussed visits to schools. Tina Cayton said she preferred the visits to happen after the first of the year.  There was concurrence from other directors.

DISCUSSION

 

Presentation of Educational Specifications

Chris Lilley presented the Educational Specifications document for the WHS project. This document is online. The Board discussed these and the latest plan design. The Educational Specifications will be on the next Board agenda for acceptance. The agenda for the November 12th Board meeting will include a presentation and recommended approval of the schematic design.  If necessary, the board may be asked to adjust the scope of the High School project to ensure it is able to be built on or under budget.  The Board discussed the information. Jim Bays asked that staff and community get the opportunity to give feedback on the educational specifications. Michael said that the specifications were based primarily on staff input gathered at a series of face-to-face interviews.  Additionally, input from the design team has been strongly considered.  The Board discussed the Career and Technical Education (CTE) spaces. Jim Bays was concerned about the adequacy of the space for CTE classes in the design. Michael and John said that the design incorporates more space for CTE than the current school has.  The specifications and space allocations for the industrial technology areas is smaller than the current space.  This allocation is based on two factors: 1) the current enrollment in industrial technology only supports a .90 FTE teacher; and, 2) the needs of industry calls for a broader view of industrial technology that includes working with computer controlled shop equipment, materials science (plastics, carbon fiber, etc.), and an increase in engineering related CTE Coursework.   The plan is to design a space that is more flexible and adaptable in order to meet the changing needs of students.

 

Briefing on Teacher & Principal Evaluation Changes

Asha Riley gave a the Board a presentation regarding the legislative changes that have been made to teacher and principal evaluations. The state is still working on the refinement of some of the peices of the model.  Our District has received a grant to support the implementation of the new instruments and model.  Part of the grant involves working with other districts.  The Board will receive an implementation schedule to approve later this year. Asha said the work the committee is doing, and the time they are putting in to get it right, will help with the success of the plan.  Michael said that the timing for this work is good. Some teachers  in the district will need to start getting evaluated next year. Asha said a website for staff information and questions was set up, but there hasn't been much staff concern about these changes.

 

 

 

CONSENT AGENDA

 

The Board discussed the consent agenda.

 

Janice Watts moved to approve the consent agenda as presented.

 

Tina Cayton  yes

Bill Woodard  yes

Janice Watts  yes  carried

 

ACTION ITEMS

 

Approval of TEAM High Annual Report

Dan Uhlenkott discussed the annual TEAM High report with the Board.  He is working to get TEAM High to become an accredited school. He said that the school is working on an improvement plan. Math has been an issue in the past for TEAM High students. They are not starting math interventions earlier in the school year, giving students more time to learn. Their goal is to focus on improving student's math abilities. 

 

Bill Woodard moved to approve the annual TEAM High Report.

 

Tina Cayton  yes

Bill Woodard  yes

Janice Watts  yes  carried

 

Second Reading and Approval of Policy No. 6801-Capital Assets/Theft-Sensitive Assets

 

Tina Cayton moved to approve Policy No. 6801-Capital Assets/Theft-Sensitive Assets.

 

Janice Watts  yes

Bill Woodard  yes

Tina Cayton  yes  carried

 

Second Reading and Approval of Policy No. 1400-Meeting Conduct, Order of Business and Quorum.

 

Janice Watts moved to approve Policy No. 1400-Meeting Conduct, Order of Business and Quorum.

 

Tina Cayton  yes

Bill Woodard  yes

Janice Watts  yes  carried

 

 

ADJOURNMENT

 

President, Jim Bays, adjourned the meeting of the Board of Directors at 7:50pm.

 

 

ATTEST:

_______________________________
Secretary to the Board

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT #404
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

____________________________________
President

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director