March 26, 2012 Regular Meeting Minutes


WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 404
DIRECTOR'S MEETING
MINUTES

March 26, 2012 5:15PM
Regular Meeting-District Meeting Room

MEMBERS
PRESENT

 

Jim Bays, Janice Watts, Bill Woodard, Tina Cayton, Jeremy Stuart, Katie Longrie-Student Representative, Michael Green-Secretary and Tegan Steen-Recording Secretary

OTHERS
PRESENT

 

Carolyn Johnson and Stacy Brown.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

 

President, Jim Bays, recessed the meeting into executive session at 5:20pm to discuss matters allowed under 42.30.110(1)(g), specifically the Superintendent's Evaluation and another employee matter, with no action to be taken upon return.

President, Jim Bays, reconvened the meeting into regular session at 6:00pm.

MINUTES

 

Bill Woodard moved to approve the March 12, 2012 regular meeting minutes as presented.

Tina Cayton  yes
Bill Woodard  yes
Janice Watts  yes carried

REPORTS TO THE BOARD

 

Student Representative Report
Katie Longrie reported that seniors were finishing their presentations.  Spring sports have started. The Middle School's LEGO Robotics Team won first place for most innovative solution. Jim Bays asked if there have been any ASB meetings. Katie says they rarely have meetings.

Other Reports
The Board had no questions about the other reports.

SUPERINTENDENT REPORT

 

Michael Green said that starting tomorrow and for the remainder of the week, there will be early release days at all the schools. Jeremy Stuart said that the magnetic calendar did not show this. Michael explained that the magnetic calendar had been printed before the WEA negotiations and that was why the calendar was wrong. This information was published at the beginning of the year.

Mr. Green said that Board members should try and see senior presentations if they have not done so before, as they are very interesting. He had attended one that was given by students who were very articulate. He said it was nice to see that kind of level of engagement from these students.

Jim Bays said that the bond informational piece that will be going out in the mail this week looks excellent.  Michael hopes to get it from ESD 112 on Wednesday, for mailing on Thursday.

CORRESPONDENCE

 

Repeater Project Thank-You Letters
The Board will sign letters of thanks for Ron Risley and Cascade Networks, Inc., for their help in completing the repeater project. 

Letter of Support for the WSDOT Safe Routes to School Grant
Carolyn Johnson, City of Woodland Planner, told the Board that the City of Woodland and Woodland School District are jointly applying for the Safe Routes to School Grant. The City will be the lead agency for this grant. The funds will go towards completing sidewalk projects, new intersection alerts for student and public crossing and other infrastructure needed to make walking and biking to school for students in the South Pekin Road and Horeshoe Lake areas (less than a mile from schools), safer. There is also a component of the grant that provides funding for safety programs, such as the Walking School Bus and crossing guard programs. Part of the grant requires that teachers at the Middle and Primary Schools do a survey of how students get to and from school, before and after the grant is awarded.  Carolyn will continue to work with Chuck Anderson, Director of KWRL and Tegan Steen, Executive Secretary, on this project.  The Board thought this was a good opportunity.  The Board will sign a letter of support for this grant application this evening.

Summer Food Service Program
The Board saw a letter from OSPI regarding the Summer Food Service Program last summer. Their review of the program was positive.  Stacy Brown said that there will be another program this summer.

CITIZENS REQUESTS

 

None.

BOARD REPORTS AND REQUESTS

 

Tina Cayton asked Michael if anyone in the community has ever asked to rent School Messenger for public announcements. Michael said that the teachers' union had asked, but were told no. He said that if they did it for one group, others would want to use it. He asked if this was for the Citizens for a New High School group. She said it was. He said that the PDC rules allow for Districts to remind citizens to vote, and he will use it for that purpose.

DISCUSSION ITEMS

 

Accountability and Citizen Oversight
Michael said that during his bond presentations, he had gotten interest from citizens who would like to know if there will be a citizens' oversight committee or a way for citizens to have input on costs and specifications related to the new high school project.  The Board discussed the idea and agreed that ultimately, they are responsible for the accountability and oversight of the construction project. However, they liked the idea of getting input from citizens who have some expertise in this area. They asked Michael to do more research on such committees and they will discuss it at a future meeting.

Jim Bays said that in the original bond proposal, they had talked about using local vendors as much as possible, to boost the local economy. He didn't want this idea to be forgotten.  Michael agreed that this would be an important priority, and there were limitations, given bid laws, that limited the District's ability to manage this.

CONSENT AGENDA

 

Janice Watts moved to approve the consent agenda as presented.

Jeremy Stuart  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Bill Woodard  yes
Janice Watts  yes  carried

ACTION ITEMS

 

Declaration of Surplus School Buses
The Board reviewed the list of surplus buses.

Tina Cayton moved to approve the KWRL surplus bus list.

Jeremy Stuart  yes
Tina Cayton  yes
Bill Woodard  yes
Janice Watts  yes  carried

ADJOURNMENT

 

President, Jim Bays, adjourned the meeting of the Board of Directors at 6:38pm.

 

ATTEST:

_______________________________
Secretary to the Board

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT #404
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

____________________________________
President

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director