September 27, 2010

 WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 404
DIRECTOR'S MEETING
MINUTES

September 27, 2010 7:00PM
Regular Meeting-District Meeting Room

MEMBERS
PRESENT

 

Jim Bays, Janice Watts, Bill Woodard, Tina Cayton, Steve Madsen, Mia Patterson, Student Representative, Michael Green-Secretary and Tegan Steen-Recording Secretary

OTHERS
PRESENT

 

Mariah Reese and Stacy Brown.

MINUTES

 

Tina Cayton moved to approve September 13, 2010 regular meeting minutes.

Steve Madsen-yes
Tina Cayton-yes
Bill Woodard-yes
Janice Watts-yes  carried

STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE REPORT

 

Mia Patterson reported that High School students brought flowers and a card to the Mark Morris High School office, in memory of a student who had recently committed suicide. She said they were very grateful. ASB officers are meeting with a woman to update the side of the Auditorium with a mural. She is designing a new logo for this, also. The Homecoming Princess Assembly is Thursday. Friday is a home football game with Mark Morris High. Middle School students will help Primary students figure out how to make a good purchase at the book fair at WPS on Thursday, September 30th.

Jim Bays suggested that the WHS ASB contact the Beaver Boosters about the mural on the Auditorium, as they had paid to have it done years ago.

OPERATIONS REPORTS

 

There were no questions about the Tech, Maintenance or Financial/Enrollment reports.

SUPERINTENDENT REPORT

 

Mr. Green reported that enrollment at the buildings is holding steady, but numbers are shifting around. Yale's enrollment dropped by 3 students and TEAM High's are going up. He has a positive outlook as we move forward in the school year.

Bill Woodard had asked a question about the need for bilingual program aides. Mr. Green said that the federal requirement of a 2-year college degree or passage of the PRAXIS for IA's in a Title 1 school makes it difficult to find qualified IA's. The Board discussed recruitment of bilingual aides.

Every 3 years, OSPI requires districts to do a survey of opportunities for kids' activities. Paul Huddleston and John Shoup are updating the survey. Mia Patterson said that it should be a paper survey, as some students don't use their computer accounts much.  Steve Madsen had an idea for a video game club that would allow students to take advantage of accessing facilities with computers.

Bill Woodard said that last year TEAM High had a waiting list. He asked if there was a waiting list this year. Michael said that this year they have about 75 students; last year they had 94. He said that they are looking into expanding into the Port side of the building (as the Port is moving).

CORRESPONDENCE

 

None.

CITIZENS REQUESTS

 

Mariah Reese said Yale had its first movie night last Friday with "Marmaduke". The next one will be on October 16th. She said kids are getting back into the swing of things since the classroom changes.

Steve Madsen volunteered to bring one of his dogs if they have a kid movie like "Balto".  Mariah said that she would look into that and contact him.

BOARD REPORTS
AND REQUEST

 

Bill Woodard said that he went to the City Council meeting where the City Planner was talking about traffic at Walmart.  Mr. Green said that he talked to Councilman Burke on Thursday and was told that the City Council approved the funding for the roundabout.  Janice Watts said the Walmart opening has been pushed out to January.

Janice asked about the October 20th, joint meeting with the Port and the City. She wanted to know about the agenda.  Michael said that there will be a speaker from PUD, but not much else was on the agenda at this point. Jim Bays suggested they discuss the recertification of dikes.  He also asked if the new county commissioner representing Woodland would be attending.

Jim Bays told the Board that he attended a CAST meeting at the Primary School and was very impressed by it. The Board discussed the CAST program. Steve Madsen asked how the program came about. Mr. Green said that Mr. Houk had brought it into the school. Steve said that he had been reading about the documentary "Waiting for Superman", which talks about the $4 billion that was given to states who participated in programs that measure performance. He thought we should be able to find out which programs were successful, so that we can bring them to our District.  He said it made him think about the struggles at Yale and he thought that they must have some program for rural schools that are struggling with enrollment. He wanted to know how we evaluate programs that are used in the District.

DISCUSSION ITEMS

 

Site Survey Card Review, Draft 4
Mr. Green asked the Board to review the Site Survey Card and give him direction on what they want for the final copy.  The Board directed the superintendent to make sure site mitigation cost is included in the projections. They wanted to add a phone number and email address for patrons wanting additional information; and to change the wording in the second bullet of the "Current Site" section. Michael will send the changes out with the Friday Notes for final review.

Goal 6: Board Self-Development
The Board continued their work on their Goal 6.  They decided to have Michael and the President work on Board development activities and to contact WSSDA and offer to have a regional meeting at one of our facilities. Janice, Jim and Michael will be attending the WSSDA Annual Conference.  Michael and Jim will finalize the wording in Goal 6 for the Board.

Steve Madsen and Bill Woodard volunteered to attend the State of KWRL meeting on October 28th at 7pm.

CONSENT AGENDA

 

The Board discussed the consent agenda. Steve Madsen asked about a Safeway sign about receipts being collected for schools. He wondered why he never heard about this and if it was being publicized. Stacy Brown explained the program and said that she would talk to the Administrators about getting the word out.

Steve Madsen moved to approve the consent agenda.

Janice Watts-yes
Bill Woodard-yes
Tina Cayton-yes
Steve Madsen-yes  carried

ACTION ITEMS

 

Resolution No. 2540-Granting Easement to OALC
The Board discussed this resolution. Steve Madsen didn't feel comfortable without knowing the value of the latecomer fees. He thought that someone from the community may want to know and that Michael should be able to get an estimate for the Board. He said that he has no problem telling the OALC that the Board will approve the resolution as soon as they get the estimate. The Board did not think it would be a problem to wait until the next meeting to approve the resolution, so they tabled the resolution until the October 11th meeting.

Steve Madsen moved to table Resolution No. 2540-Granting Easement to OALC to the next regular Board meeting.

Janice Watts-yes
Bill Woodard-yes
Tina Cayton-yes
Steve Madsen-yes  carried

ADJOURNMENT

 

Board President, Jim Bays, adjourned the meeting of the Board of Directors at 8:27pm.

ATTEST:

_______________________________
Secretary to the Board

WOODLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT #404
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

____________________________________
President

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director

____________________________________
Director