Regular Board Meeting on Monday, April 25, 2016Previous Next
Regular Board Meeting on Monday, April 25, 2016
- Next Board Meeting Location: The next Regular Board Meeting will be held in the District Meeting Room on Monday, May 9, 2016 beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Reports to the Board:
- Stacy Brown, Business Manager, presented a year-over-year budget comparison to the board.
- Scott Landrigan, Facilities Manager, presented to the Board that the Facilities team is finding new ways to reduce utility costs at the new high school by utilizing thermostat and lighting programming.
- Reports to the board can be found online at: http://www.woodlandschools.org/board/meeting/244
- Special Presentation:
- Woodland Primary School Principal Juliann McCarthy presented a slideshow, including videos covering the current state of primary school which included first grade students offering a virtual tour of the school as well as several teachers discussing the value of collaboration and how collaborating permits teachers to create standards-based goals and interventions for students. McCarthy talked about how three fundamental questions guide teaching at the primary school: (1) How do teachers know when students have learned a concept? (2) What do teachers do if students don’t understand? and (3) What do teachers do once students fully understand a concept? Dr. McCarthy also discussed the success of the Playworks recess program resulting in a 57% reduction in recess behavior incidents as well as benefits seen for in-classroom behavior as students use conflict-resolution techniques from Playworks throughout the school day. In addition, McCarthy mentioned the recent Washington State Achievement Award received by Woodland Primary for English Language Acquisition in 2014-15. The entire presentation can be viewed online using the following link: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/4707
- Superintendent Michael Green commended Business Manager Stacy Brown and her staff on the quality of their work that has led to another commendable State Audit.
- Discussion Items:
- The Board reviewed and voted to adopt a new Vision Statement: “Woodland Public Schools, in partnership with families and the community, will create a PreK-12 system that serves and supports ALL children and ensures that EACH child has FULL access to, is engaged in, and obtains an excellent education that prepares them for responsible citizenship and a future of adaptability and success in life and their chosen endeavors.”
- Making Rational Decisions Discussion: The Board of Directors continues to read a book entitled “Effective School Boards: Strategies for Improving Board Performance” to help unify board members. The Board discussed Chapter 3 regarding exercising appropriate authority.
- Director Steve Madsen spoke of seeing that the State School Board had received a grant to work on career-readiness efforts. He asked Green to seek if opportunities for board involvement on this state-wide effort.
- Director Matt Donald spoke of seeing AT&T offering low-income Internet connections. Superintendent Green will investigate options that may be available to Woodland community members.
- Consent Agenda:
- Director Donald spoke about Tim Brown, WMS Science Teacher, who is retiring at the end of the school year, and hopes that the excellent LEGO Robotics program will continue into the future.
UPCOMING BOARD MEETING
Monday, May 9, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. in the Woodland District Meeting Room.