Regular Board Meeting on April 11, 2016Previous Next
Regular Board Meeting on Monday, April 11, 2016
- Next Board Meeting Location Change: The next Regular Board Meeting will be held in the Woodland Primary School Library on Monday, April 25, 2016 beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Citizens Addressing the Board on Non-Agenda Items:
- Leslie Lawley, a Woodland citizen, asked for permission to address the Board. Lawley thanked the Board for the new playground equipment installed at Woodland Intermediate School.
- Reports to the Board:
- Taylor Vossen, Student Representative, presented that high school seniors are finishing their Senior Project Presentations, and that elections for next year’s ASB officers will be taking place in the coming weeks.
- Other reports to the board can be found online at: http://wdw.woodlandschools.org/board/meeting/243
- Special Presentation:
- Woodland Intermediate School Principal Steven Carney and Associate Administrator Lynnell Tsugawa-Murray along with many WIS staff members gave a presentation to the Board covering the Intermediate School. Carney spoke of where the school started the 2015-16 school year, where it is now, and where the staff intends to go in the future. “I’m asking the staff to do the same thing we ask our kids to do which is to take risks,” explained Carney. “What we know today doesn’t make yesterday wrong, it makes tomorrow better.” The staff pointed to collaboration and teamwork as being key elements in the school’s successes over the course of the current year, particularly discussing the importance of using assessments and data analysis to track student progress and improve student learning. Murray spoke of the Learning Assistance Program (LAP) and how LAP helps ensure struggling students receive the extra assistance they need, while staff members talked about the implementation of Extension Groups to offer additional challenge to students who are excelling. Carlotta Propersi, lead for the English Language Learners (ELL) program, presented information about the Imagine Learning curriculum which is an excellent tool for helping ELL students learn. Other topics included the importance of physical and health education presented by Kristi Olson who strives to make physical fitness a love that lasts with students for a lifetime; the introduction of the Playworks Recess program which teaches inclusion and has reduced playground incidents by 58% in the single month since its implementation; after-school programs such as Homework Club where students are motivated to read by reading to a therapy dog named Rigel; and the use of Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) to create an atmosphere where students support one another through positive interactions and encouraging comments. Other staff members spoke on a variety of topics, pointing to teamwork, collaboration, and the development of a combined vision and mission to help the staff feel like a team and a family working together toward the common goal of providing excellent educational opportunities to all of the school’s students. The entire presentation can be viewed online using the following link: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/4706
- Consent Agenda:
- The board approved the consent agenda which can be found at: http://wdw.woodlandschools.org/board/meeting/243/10
- Following the board meeting, the Directors took part in a tour of Woodland Intermediate School.
UPCOMING BOARD MEETING
Monday, April 25, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. in the Woodland Primary School Library